With 2022 done and dusted, we’re taking stock of the past twelve months by looking at our five most popular articles. We published 115 stories on a great variety of topics, from developer advocates and product adoption to brand awareness and getting developers to test out a product.
You can expect many more articles in 2023, including expert contributions from developer marketers all over the world! In the meantime, here’s a recap of 2022 and the stories you loved throughout the year:
1. Go-to-market: how to launch an API into a market and keep it there
In this article, Nick Knuppe, startup mentor and early stage investor at Juni, discussed the ins and outs of how to launch an API into a market and keep it there – with such an important topic, no wonder this article was so popular!
Go-to-market (GTM) strategies are essential to launch a product but your work doesn’t end there. What happens once that product, API, SDK, etc., is out in the world? How do you actually ensure it stays there and keeps on giving?
Nick talks about:
- What go-to-market is,
- How a go-to-market structure looks like,
- How to build a solid GTM framework,
- The steps to implement GTM,
- And so much more!
Read on to learn more about this key topic.
2. Top 7 DevRel metrics that measure the success of your marketing efforts
No one can deny the importance of metrics in marketing. How else can you tell whether your strategies worked or if you accomplished all your goals? Without metrics, it’s impossible to get a clear picture of your marketing efforts, but it can be challenging to choose the right set of metrics to measure.
Another important topic in developer marketing is, of course, developer relations, or DevRel, so we decided to combine the two and provide seven metrics that help you to measure the success of your DevRel strategies.
- New users or members,
- Product documentation,
- Number of active users,
- Product usage,
- Net Promoter Score,
- DevRel Qualified Leads, and
- Customer Satisfaction Score.
There are many other metrics you can use but these are a good starting point!
3. Reaching out to developers, with Abhishek Ratna
Another popular article and it’s easy to see why – Abhishek Ratna, Head of Product Marketing Core ML (Machine Learning) at Google, discusses a topic all technical product marketers want to learn more about: how do you reach a developer audience?
As Abhishek puts it, marketing to developers is not without its challenges, but it’s not impossible either. Developers and marketers can and do get along.
So, in this piece, you’ll learn more about:
- Why developer marketing is different,
- How to establish developer personas and segments,
- Building content for developers,
- Launching breakthrough campaigns, and
- Measuring the impact of those campaigns.
4. What is developer relations (DevRel)?
Developer relations is clearly a hot topic among developer marketers, which makes sense when your core audience is averse to typical marketing tactics and engaging devs is tough.
In addition, a good DevRel strategy can lead to higher customer satisfaction, lower product developers costs, and so much more, so it’s vital to understand exactly what this discipline is and why it matters.
This is why we took a deep dive into DevRel, including:
- What is it,
- A brief history of developer relations,
- What developer advocates are,
- The difference between developer-first and developer-plus,
- The benefits of DevRel,
- The steps for a solid DevRel program,
- Examples of developer relations programs, and
- How to measure the impact of your DevRel campaigns.
5. Everything you need to know about developer communities
We can’t talk about developer marketing or DevRel without mentioning developer communities, and it seems like our readers agree!
Developers want to be part of a community where they receive support and advice, and get mentorship opportunities, the chance to expand their skill set, etc.; developer communities also benefit marketers.
So, in this article, we look into:
- What developer communities are,
- The benefits of belonging to one,
- How you can build a developer community,
- How you can engage it, and
- Creating community-driven champions.
In 2023, you’ll find many more articles on developer marketing, DevRel, and developer communities, as well as stories on personas, product positioning, SaaS marketing, go-to-market, and so much more.
Sign up to our newsletter to stay on top of our latest articles, join our Slack channel to discuss key topics in your industry and network with other professionals like yourself, and check out our membership, where we post exclusive content, videos on demand, templates and frameworks, etc.